Before completing an application form, please note that there have been 2 big changes for the 2020 competition with regards to song submissions and how to enter which are detailed below.
ENTRY CHANGE – HOW TO ENTER In previous years, applications for the competition have been made by post only. NSCC 2020 London will be accepting both postal and emailed entries allowing for a much quicker application process. In addition to this, we will also be accepting application fees via cheque and BACS. Please note: Entries are NOT considered COMPLETE until both application AND payment have been received. Full details on how to send application forms and payment are attached in the entry form link below.
SONG SUBMISSION CHANGE – DUPLICATED SONG CHOICES NEW to 2020 will be the addition that duplicated songs will not be allowed. Having competed each year, we, as Revolution and AFR have thoroughly enjoyed watching different choirs perform the same song choice as it was interesting to see the different interpretations – however, we feel that in the interest of choir individuality and providing the audience with a wider variety of songs, song choices will now be on a first come first served basis. This means that if you submit your song choices first, you will be given exclusivity for that song. If you are unlucky enough to have submitted a song that has already been chosen, you will be able to select a different choice at NO ADDITIONAL COST.
Click on the link below to enter the NSCC 2020 LONDON
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
Please note the information regarding the Data Protection Act 1998 under the Official Notices above.
Competing choirs may enter the National Signing Choir Competition in the following ways:
- Entries may be posted to. NSCC2020, 9 Bayeux Gardens, Gillingham, Kent, ME7 2WD
Postal entriesmust be received NO LATER than FRIDAY 14TH FEBRUARY 2020. Postal entries that arrive after that date will NOT be accepted.
- BY EMAIL: Entries by email to email@example.com
Email entries must be received NO LATER than FRIDAY 14TH FEBRUARY 2020. Emailed entries that arrive after that date will NOT be accepted. Entry forms MUST be signed, scanned and emailed – electronic signatures will NOT be accepted
- Any audio recording accompaniments (backing tracks) required are to be on CD & in an MP3 format. The responsibility for ensuring these materials are playable and in good working order is of each competing choir and any materials not to be meeting these requirements will result in the choir performing without music. They must be clearly labelled with the choir’s name, address and track to be played and must be tested and brought with you on the day of the competition.
- By completing and signing the Entry Form, competing choirs, or, in the case of junior choirs, their parent or guardian, confirms he or she has read and agreed to the above Official Notices and Conditions of Entry.
- Once an entry is accepted NO change in the work to be performed is allowed unless prior approval from the organising committee is agreed.
- Proof of age may be required for certain classes. Age is reckoned from the day of the competition.
- The time limit specified in this syllabus must be adhered to otherwise the adjudicator has the right to mark down the performance and music WILL be stopped. The duration of the entry MUST be clearly stated on the entry form and marks WILL be deducted from competing choir for exceeding the times entered. The time limit for each song is set at 270 seconds (4min 30sec).
- NEW for 2020 – in addition to all competing choirs NOT being permitted to perform songs they have previously entered in the NSCC, NO ENTRY DUPLICATIONS inclusive of both junior and mixed age entries will be permitted. Song choices will be allocated on a first come first served basis and in the event of a duplicated song choice being received, the choir who entered that song choice first will be given exclusive performing rights and the choir duplicating will be given 7 DAYS to submit a new entry at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.
- The Organising Committee may, in exceptional circumstances, give permission for a junior choir to include children who exceed the relevant age limit of the class entered. Permission to include such children is entirely at the discretion of the Committee and must be sought in writing by the director or conductor of the choir by Friday 14th February 2020. A choir that performs in a class in the competition with children exceeding the age limit for that class without the permission of the Committee may be disqualified from that class.
- The Judges will be looking for clear and intelligible interpretation of lyrics, suitable expressions of emotion, musicality (rhythm, volume, mood, etc.) use of, and respect for sign language. Ensembles and choirs will also be judged on their ensemble – how they look and perform as a group. All the signing classes are competitive but any performer or group may choose to perform without being adjudicated in which case they will receive comments from the adjudicator and a non-competitive certificate.
- Should we receive more than 15 entries from competing choirs, the first 15 entries will have a guaranteed place and a committee meeting will take place to determine if further entries will be permitted. In the event that a decision is made to honour 15 choirs only, the choirs who fail to get through after the first 15 have been accepted will have their entry fee returned.
- ONLY competing choir members are admitted free of charge to the sessions in which they take part.
- Trophies won during the previous year’s competition are required to be returned 2 weeks BEFORE the competition (Friday 17th April 2020). Failure to do so will result in a fine of £25 payable to the host choir.
- The decision of the Judges IS final.
- The order in which competing choirs will perform shall be decided at random. Any competing choir failing to appear in the correct order without valid reason may be disqualified.
- Disputes. In the case of any dispute where the judges are unable to resolve the issue, an Arbitration Panel shall be convened to settle the matter. The panel shall consist of the organising committee. The dispute shall be submitted by the competing choir to the Arbitration Panel in writing with a deposit of £25 which will NOT be refunded if the dispute is deemed petty or unreasonable.
MARKING WILL BE IN THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES :
COPPER CERTIFICATE – A performance showing development of technique but with limited attention to detail and tonal quality.
BRONZE CERTIFICATE – A capable performance, generally fluent and with some awareness of the tone and style.
SILVER CERTIFICATE – An assured performance with clear evidence of tonal and stylistic qualities and instrumental and vocal features although there may be moments of imprecision.
GOLD CERTIFICATE – An excellent performance demonstrating a high level of technical security and stylistic insight.
PLATINUM CERTIFICATE – An exceptional performance. Stimulating and persuasive, with stylistic flair and unobtrusive technical command.
- Whilst we do not encourage Videoing or Photography at the event, it is inevitable that you would want to video or photograph YOUR OWN GROUP only. However an official photographer will be present and a video recording of the competition will be recorded and sold after the event, details of which will be found in the competition’s Programme. The National Signing Choir Competition takes no responsibility for any images that appear on any social media without permission.
- CANCELLATION / QUESTIONS – please email the Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
The lyrics of the song MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE ENTRY FORM. Please make sure you test your Audio Recording and bring it with you on the day of competition.
101 JUNIOR CHOIR (8 or more performers) Under 18 years
Own Choice. Two contrasting pieces MAX 270 seconds each.
102 MIXED AGE CHOIR (8 or more performers)Any age
Own Choice. Two contrasting pieces MAX 270 seconds each.
THE NATIONAL SIGNING CHOIR COMPETITION IS AN INCLUSIVE FESTIVAL
How to enter
- POST or EMAIL completed entry form, payment and lyrics of each song to address below
- You will need to know the name and composer of your music and HOW LONG IT LASTS. Please time your music accurately in minutes and seconds. This helps us to work out the final programme.
- Entries are NOT considered COMPLETE until ENTRY FORM & PAYMENT have been received.
- Payment can be made by cheque or BACS. Cheques are made payable to ‘Revolution Signing Choir’ OR for BACS please use Sort code: 40-22-35 Account number: 01582704 and Reference: (Insert your choir name) /NSCC2020
- Read syllabus, checking class numbers and rules
- Download and complete entry form remembering to state the duration of your piece
- Attach lyrics for all songs performing
- Include a cheque or transfer payment via BACS
- Post / Email the form, lyrics and cheque to arrive by 14th February 2020.
- Junior performers (under 18 years) £30
- Mixed age performers £40